The International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI) is located on the Lamont Campus of Columbia University in Palisades, NY, just 20 miles north of the Morningside Campus in New York City. All positions will be based here,
Our mission is to enhance society’s capability to understand, anticipate and manage the impacts of seasonal climate fluctuations in order to improve human welfare and the environment, especially in developing countries. In this context, we undertake fundamental research that is informed and advanced with problem focused projects in South and South East Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and in Latin America, partnering with appropriate experts for the problem and region.
Available Administrative positions at IRI will be posted through the Jobs at Columbia portal, under department 6010 – EIL Lamont Divisions, or department 6061 – EIM Centers and Divisions.
Available Research Positions at IRI will be posted on RAPS, the applications site for academic positions at Columbia University, under EIL Lamont Divisions.
All positions must be applied for online on the respective websites. The Job title will hold the link to the online application.
Technical Consultant, AICCRA Project
Accelerating Impacts of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa (AICCRA) helps deliver a climate- smart African future driven by science and innovation in agriculture. The AICCRA project is supported by the World Bank and implemented through a consortium of institutions, including Columbia University. Columbia University’s role focuses on leading climate services activities, both across the project broadly but also within specific countries. One set of activities, being conducted in collaboration with IFPRI, relates to analyses of climate services models with respect to their costs and benefits in different contexts.
We are looking for a technical consultant to support the AICCRA project. This work would be in collaboration with the International Research Institute for Climate and Society at the Columbia Climate School and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with country clusters in AICCRA program on inclusion of modules around impacts of weather shocks on women’s empowerment in their baseline surveys
- Monitor data collection and intervene where quantity or quality standards are not being met, in close coordination with thematic leads and principal researchers
- Clean data and prepare for analysis
- Coordinate the process of data analyses and paper writing
- Prepare presentations and reports to facilitate disseminating the results
- An advanced degree in agricultural economics
- Demonstrated professional experiences in using STATA for data analysis (include do-filesalong with the application)
- At least five years of experience with design of survey tools, data management andcleaning of large datasets
- Experience in the area of agriculture, climate, gender, and well-being in Africa
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and pays close attention to details.
- Ability to communicate clearly and prepare presentations or reports about complex topics.
- Strong computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Workspace applications, and teleconferencing software (Zoom, Microsoft Teams)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to, work collaboratively and empathetically with a range of partners
- Ability to work independently and autonomously as well as collaboratively with various staff across the globe.
Please send a cover letter, CV and a quotation with a daily rate (inclusive of taxes and other fees) via email to ude.aibmuloc.irinull@esora no later than May 15, 2022. Please include the job title “Technical Consultant, AICCRA Project” in the subject line of your email.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early, as review of applications will begin immediately.